Urban Connections’ Statement of Faith
Urban Connections is a non- denominational evangelistic and discipling arm of the Church where we seek unity in essentials and kindness in all things. Putting aside those particularities of church and denomination which are not essential so that we “make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace” (Ephesians 4:3 NIV).
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His substitutional and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration of the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of condemnation. (or destruction)
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Loving God and Loving Others
God commands us to love Him supremely and others sacrificially, and to live out our faith with care for one another, compassion toward the poor and justice for the oppressed.
In obedience to Christ’s commission, we are to make disciples among all people, always bearing witness to the gospel in word and deed.
Urban Connections is an urban ministry on the Near East side of Columbus, Ohio. Our neighborhood was once one of the wealthier communities in Columbus, evidenced by our many beautiful old homes and the abandoned buildings that used to be grocery stores, movie theaters, and thriving local businesses. But the neighborhood has suffered over 40 years of decline and is largely defined by badges of neglect: violence, drug abuse, boarded up buildings, poverty, limited resources and failing schools.
- 47.7% of residents are below poverty level
- 19% of residents are below 50% of the poverty level
- Median household income: $11,800
At Urban Connections, we believe that our community can be a place of opportunity, stability and pride, when these are built through relationships. We listen and love our neighbors and work together to develop our community. With kids and families living under desperate conditions, it is imperative that we do all we can to give access to resources, opportunities and discipleship.
We began in 1999 with a Vacation Bible School in a vacant lot run by volunteers. We have grown from that small VBS to an organization committed to seeing growth in our neighborhood. Currently our ministry programs are based at a house on Fairwood Avenue. Our staff and volunteers and board include members of the community and are committed to seeing God move in our neighborhood.
The mission of Urban Connections is to connect people with Christ and each other in order to develop our community together.
We envision our neighborhood as a community holistically transformed by God and characterized by stability, justice, opportunity and rich faith in Christ.
Urban Connections is a not-for-profit organization. We are a member of the Christian Community Development Association (www.ccda.org).